Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Wonderful Thanksgiving!

Today started at 7:30am to get the turkey ready and in the oven by 8am.  It really was quit comical how many people it took to get a small 8lb. turkey ready to go in the oven.  Everything that was looked up said to cook the turkey for 4 hours so we were expecting it to reach 165 degrees around noon....guess what...it was done at 10am!!  So, we covered it with foil and put a couple of towels over that to hold in the heat and set about to get the rest of lunch done.

We decided to boil all the eggs so we could have some for deviled eggs, some in the gravy and some in the dressing.  I forgot to really check the dressing recipe closely and realized after we had already boiled all the eggs that I needed to beaten eggs for the dressing.  Deon had to run to Wal Mart and pick up another dozen eggs!  Other that that everything went very smoothly and dinner was on the table by 12:05pm.

It was all so yummy.  Mom made the mashed potatoes and the giblet gravy.  Karah made the deviled eggs and I seasoned the turkey, made the dressing, the green beans and heated up the rolls.  Deon put the string on the turkey before I seasoned it and Loy is the one who carved the turkey when it was done!

Lunch was really wonderful and when we were done Karah started to make her glass sing by wetting her finger and running it around the top of her glass.  Then Deon and Mom got in on the act and insisted that I video the "beautiful" music.  It really was pretty funny and it was wonderful to laugh so much.

The rest of the day was pretty lazy and I even got in a little nap.  I think Deon and his mom were on the computer messing with pictures and photo art stuff most of the day.  Karah and I played 3 hands of Skipbo...she won 2 and I won 1 and then we played 1 game of farkle.  I won the farkle game.  Loy watched football.

And there you have it, the first Thanksgiving spent at our house in almost 25 years we've been married.  It was a wonderful day and I truly thankful to the Lord for every bit of it!

1 comment:

HRM said...

Glad you had a great time with family!